The World Cup is right around the corner. From June 14 through July 15 there will be soccer (or futbol) being broadcast all around the world. Every team vying to be considered the best soccer country in the world.
There will also be loads of World Cup viewing parties where people get together to watch the games and root on your favorite teams/players. Whether you yourself are hosting one or just asked to bring along a dish, these Malteaser World Cup Cakes will be an appropriate and tasty dessert for everyone to enjoy.
- 4 tbsp Water
- 40g Cocoa Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 175g Butter (unsalted)
- 165g Caster Sugar
- 115g White Self-Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
For the butter cream:
- 50g Dark Chocolate (Minimum 70% Cocoa Solids)
- 100g Butter (unsalted), softened
- 200g Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Milk, to loosen
- Line a muffin tin with paper cases. Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl, pour in the boiling water and mix into a thick paste. Add the remaining cake ingredients and mix with an electric hand whisk (or beat with a wooden spoon).
- Divide the mixture equally between the 14 paper cases. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F, Gas mark 6) for about 12-15 minutes until well risen and springy to the touch. Cool in the cases on a wire rack.
- To make the chocolate icing melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. (Do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the surface of the water.) Allow to cool.
- Beat the butter in a bowl until soft, then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Add the vanilla extract, then fold in the melted chocolate until completely incorporated (add a few drops of milk if the mixture is a little stiff).
- Pipe over the cupcakes, sprinkle with chocolate decorations and leave to set before serving.