Sure, we’re excited about the launch of the 2020 catalog, but we’re EVEN MORE excited about the breakfast dish on the back cover. Did it have you drooling and dreaming about breakfast in bed? We hounded our graphic designer Bonnie, who whipped up this dish one morning before a photo session, for the recipe so we could try it at home.
Here are all the delicious details.
- 8 croissants sliced in half, lengthwise
- 5 eggs beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 tbsp raspberry preserves
- box of fresh raspberries
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Grease pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, orange zest, maple syrup, and salt. Submerge croissant halves in liquid until completely soaked.
- Arrange croissants in baking dish, overlapping slightly if necessary. Cut cream cheese into 1″ cubes and place on and under croissants. Spoon raspberry preserves over croissants. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to bake; up to a day ahead.
- When ready to bake, remove dish from fridge and let sit at room temperature for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown. Cover with foil if the tops begin to brown too quickly.
- Dust French toast bake with powdered sugar — serve with fresh berries, whipped cream and syrup, if desired.
- Other fresh berries and preserves can be substituted.