With plastic straw bans starting up in many cities around the world, and large food service corporations also making commitments to replace their plastic straws, it’s a good time to talk eco-friendly alternatives.
At TableCraft, we offers an assortment of PLA and paper straws that are made from 100% renewable materials. Our paper straws are biodegradable, and our PLA straws are fully compostable. We have three standard lengths, multiple diameters and colors to choose from, because one size straw does not fit all.
Still need more information? Here’s a quick FAQ about our paper and PLA straw offerings:
Paper Straw FAQs:
- Are they safe to use with food? Yes. Our straws are all FDA, EU and CA Proposition 65 compliant.
- Are your straws biodegradable? Yes. Our straws are safe for you and the environment. They are made of paper and a food grade adhesive that will break down quickly in a compost, marine, or landfill environment
- How long do they last when in use? They are designed to be single use, but your paper straws will last up to 4 hours before getting soggy — far beyond the typical length of a meal service.
- Are they gluten, gmo and bpa free? Yes, Yes & Yes. All of our paper straws are free of gluten, gmo or bpa.
- Can they be used in hot beverages? No. Although all of the components are food safe, for best performance, we recommend using the straws for cold beverages only.
- Are custom straws an option? Yes. Custom designs available, lead times may vary.
PLA Straw FAQs:
- What is PLA? Polylactic Acid (PLA) is a bioplastic derived from renewable resources like corn starch or sugar cane. Most other plastics, by contrast, are made from nonrenewable oil or natural gas. In addition, PLA takes as much as 65% less energy to produce, making it a two-fold win for the environment.
- Is PLA eco-friendly? Yes. The huge benefit of PLA is its versatility and the fact that because it is plant based, it naturally degrades when exposed to the environment.
- Is PLA compostable? Yes. PLA will degrade in under 6 months in a commercial composting environment, but will take a bit longer in a home or restaurant composting environment.
- Can PLA straws be used in hot beverages? No. Although all of the components are food safe, for best performance, we recommend using the straws for cold beverages only. High temperatures could make the material soft and reduce its practical life.
Read more about our eco-friendly straws in our new website, or download the Eco-Friendly Straws Sell Sheet or find them in this year’s catalog.
Need samples? Please contact our friendly TableCraft Customer Service team or your local TableCraft Sales Rep.
Join the discussion One Comment
[…] We also have a wide range of eco-friendly PLA an Paper Straws, which you can read all about here. […]