Two ingredients and you’ve got yourself a delicious treat? Oh yes! Bonnie loves making these snowy sweets with her daughter, letting the kitchen mixer do most of the work. Customize the final dessert by using whatever fruit or jelly that tickles your fancy, from berries to stone fruits to chocolate!
- Preheat the oven to 225° F.
- Prepare two large baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Pour 8 large egg whites into a clean, large bowl or the bowl of a mixer. With a hand or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat at low speed until the egg whites are foamy.
- Increase speed to medium and gradually pour in 2 cups sugar.
- Continue beating until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Using two spoons, drop balls of meringue onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Press down on center of each ball with second spoon to form a small cup.
- Place baking sheets in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours, then turn oven off and leave the meringues for 30 additional minutes.
- Gently peel the meringues off of the parchment. Cool completely and place in airtight container.
- Can be served with whipped cream, desired berries and jam or fruit compote.